Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chapter 12

I could feel the headache and the uneasy stomach even before I opened my eyes the next morning. At first I groaned inwardly at getting the flu or something now, but then the events from the night before hit me. I’d panicked myself into nausea. I groaned inwardly again, but this time at my inability to handle tough and uncomfortable situations.

Then I felt something tighten around my midsection. Fear sent a lump into my throat and caused my stomach to clench. Were those arms? Those were definitely arms. Oh shit. Oooooh shit, who was that? As I fought back a new wave of panicked nausea more memories from the night before filtered into my brain. Patrick.

My memories from after getting home were pretty much a blur. My panic attack had made sure of that, but I vaguely remembered Patrick coming to check on me. Then it was him in bed with me, right? I wasn’t forgetting something else, right? I felt the person holding me shift again and realized they were waking up.

“Gabby?” I heard him ask. The nausea disappeared all at once when I heard for sure that it was Patrick.

“I’m up,” I responded as I turned over.

“How are you feeling?” he asked, concern laced his voice. I gave a small shrug.

“I still have a headache, but better than last night.” He gave me a small smile.

“Good. I’ve gotta say, I was worried. You just disappeared saying you didn’t feel well so I came to check on you and you didn’t look good.”

“Yeah, it just kind of hit me,” I said. “I’m sorry I just left like that. I just had no idea how long I was going to be able to hold off on getting sick.”

“No, it’s fine. I’m just glad you’re okay.” I smiled back at him.

“I think I just really need a hot shower and I’ll be back to normal,” I told him.

“Go take that shower and I’ll try to cook some breakfast.”

I nodded and got out of bed. He did the same and when I looked between the two of us I couldn’t help but start laughing. He was still in his suit pants and shirt and I was still fully dressed in the clothes I’d worn to the game last night. He caught on to what I was laughing at and laughed too. I just shook my head and made my way into the bathroom.

It didn’t occur to me until I was already under the hot spray of the shower that maybe I should have been a little more concerned about being naked in the same apartment as a guy I barely knew. I waited for the oncoming panic attack to hit at that realization. I stood frozen in place in the shower ready to combat it, but it never came.

I finished my shower and toweled off wondering the whole time why it hadn’t. I’m not saying I was upset or disappointed about not having to try to fight off a panic attack, I was just confused. Lesser things had brought them on before, so why not this? I shrugged and got dressed before walking out into the kitchen.

The unpleasant smell of burnt eggs and bacon hit me the second I turned the corner. I paused in my position to watch Patrick scurry around trying to salvage the breakfast. I couldn’t help but smile at the sight. And then it hit me full on. I liked this guy. I really liked this guy. I’d been interested before, but now I was done for. He’d swept into my life like a hurricane and had hit me before I’d even seen him coming.

“Need help?” I asked, making the rest of the way into the kitchen. He looked at me sheepishly.

“I told you I was a terrible cook,” he responded. I laughed and took the skillet he was holding out of his hand.

“If you could take Loxley out, I’ll cook,” I offered. He happily obliged and I got to work.

Patrick took Loxley out and then came back in and sat at a stool at the island to watch me work. Even after feeling so sick last night, I found that I was hungry, so I made a large breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, and home fries covered two plates when I was done.

“This is probably the best breakfast I’ve ever had,” he told me appreciatively as he ate. I grinned and thanked him. We ate mostly in silence, but it wasn’t at all uncomfortable. “I should probably get back to my place. Dudley is probably going crazy right now.”

“Of course, the poor guy. I’ll talk to you later.” He got up and grabbed his stuff and I walked him to the door. “Thank you for coming back last night. It was really sweet of you.”

“You’re welcome.” He gave me one of his dazzling smiles before turning and walking out the door. I closed it behind him and leaned back against the door and sighed with a smile on my face.

The next Monday morning I was sitting at my desk in my office. Patrick and I had talked again after he’d left my apartment Saturday morning and the conversation had been easy and funny. It didn’t seem like he was at all bothered by my strange behavior and sickness on Friday night. I smiled as I thought about him until my phone rang.

“Gabrielle Tunney,” I answered, figuring it was one of the staff at the school.

“Hey, Gabby,” Patrick’s voice greeted me cheerfully.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked in surprise.

“Well, we’re flying out this afternoon for a road trip this afternoon and I was hoping maybe you could grab lunch with me today before I go.” I couldn’t help the smile that came over my face. I agreed and we set a time and location. I then counted down the minutes until it was time.

When it finally was I grabbed my jacket and purse and headed out to my car. I found a place to park near the restaurant and walked in to find Patrick already there and waiting for me. We were led to a table where we spent the next 40 minutes laughing and talking. After the bill was paid we walked outside to say goodbye.

“I’ll give you a call when I get to Phoenix,” Patrick told me.

“Sounds good. Have a safe flight,” I returned.

I started to take a step to walk away when Patrick reached out and grabbed my arm. I turned back to him. He didn’t say anything, just lowered his face and pressed his lips to mine. My breath caught in my throat in shock even as I kissed him back. He pulled back too quickly and gave me a mischievous smile before turning and walking away. I just stood there on the sidewalk staring after his form even after it disappeared around a corner. Holy shit.










Patrick knew he wanted to see Gabrielle before he left for Phoenix that afternoon so he was hoping that she’d be able to get away for lunch. He was really starting to develop feelings for her. He smiled when she agreed to meet him and he had a smile on his face the entire practice that morning.

“Sharpie, you’re starting to make me sick every time I see you,” Burs complained as they headed into the locker room after the practice.

“Shove it,” he responded.

Unfortunately Burish’s comment had egged on the rest of the locker room who then proceeded to give it to him pretty good over Gabrielle. Most of it was fine, but a few of the guys weren’t really sure about her. Keith had called her “uppity.” What the hell did that mean?

“So you don’t like her because she doesn’t drink?” Patrick asked him.

“It’s not that. She just acted like she was above being around us at the bar, like we should be privileged to have her in our presence,” Duncan responded.

“I don’t think she was like that at all. I think she was just overwhelmed being around a bunch of people she didn’t know in a scene she’s obviously not completely comfortable in. Not to mention she got pretty sick that night from the flu or something,” Patrick defended her.

“Yeah, well, I guess we’ll see, won’t we,” Duncan said.

“If it helps, I liked her,” Tazer threw in.

“You’re just saying that because Sharpie hasn’t gotten you back for that stunt you pulled on Gabrielle yet and you’re afraid,” Burish joked. The guys in the locker room laughed and the subject changed.

Patrick left the rink and drove to the restaurant he and Gabrielle had agreed to meet at. He was only there for a few minutes when she walked in looking as beautiful as usual in that not really trying way. He’d never known a girl who could make professional attire look so sexy. They sat at a table and laughed their way through lunch.

Unfortunately they had only a short time before she had to get back to school, but at least it was something before they hit the road. As they talked he kept focusing on her mouth and wondering what it would be like to kiss her. When they’d gone outside to head their separate ways he couldn’t help himself.

Gabrielle turned to leave and he grabbed her arm. She turned back to him in confusion and he just went for it. She was surprised at first, but she only hesitated for a second before kissing him back. They were in the middle of the sidewalk, so he knew it had to just be a short kiss, but he wanted it that way. He was hoping if he kept it short he’d leave her wanting more. When he pulled away he thought he read disappointment flash through her eyes. He gave her a small smile before turning and walking away without a word.

His lips had tingled the entire walk back to his car and he didn’t mind a bit. He got in, started the car and turned down the street where the restaurant was to head home. He spotted Gabrielle sitting down on a short rock wall only feet from where he’d left her holding a hand to her mouth. Oh yeah, he was pretty sure he had her.

6 comments:

  1. I think most women would have that reaction to the beautiful Patrick Sharp. Gabby's astonishment was perfect. I love it!!

    I'm really excited to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT...cant really say more than that

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing!!!! wow i'm speechless (good thing I'm typing haha) amazing job(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha "yea, he was pretty sure he had her"
    loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh it's so good that he saw her reaction lol!

    ReplyDelete